Thursday 27 January 2011

The Asthma Pussy And The Flat Cat

For some time now, The Boy and I have been on the look-out for flat cats and recently decided Maine Coons are our ideal find. I love a massive moggie with plenty of fur and Maine Coons, like me, are known for their barrel chests and large bone structures. Like Persians (or Ewoks as I like to call them), Maine Coons have long flowing coats, but unlike Ewoks they don't require regular brushing.

They're known as one of the largest breeds of domestic cats - males can weigh anything between 15-25 pounds while females are a more petite 10-15. They can be between 25-41 cms tall and 100cms long (including their bushy racoon-like tails). In 2010 the longest Maine Coon recorded in the Guinness Book of Records was Stewie, measuring an impressive 123 cms from the tip of his nose to tail.

I've always grown up with both pedigree and moggie cats, loving them so much, The Boy has become a pretty radical convert, now campaigning for the flat cat acquisition more fiercely than me. In the past I've tried to explain the ailments of some of the cats back at my parents' house in Cranners and I'm not sure I did the best job. As I have had a heavy week of job applications and have taken on far too many reviews, I'm going to leave you be with an amazing video of Pingus Ming (aka Mr Diddles), the asthmatic rather handsome appearance-proud Siamese Tabby Point. He hasn't always sounded this way, possibly getting this infliction after the arrival of another cat, saw him constantly living in fear. He takes meds but they never seem to stop the wide array of noises that he makes. I have described these sounds as snuffly, snake-like and reminiscent of a guinea-pig before but you really have to hear it to believe it....



and now imagine trying to get to sleep with him sharing your bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment